So i've got Sciatica at the age of 23

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So i've got Sciatica at the age of 23

A while ago, made this thread https://bs-forum.com/forum/forum/ste...ed-some-advice

After a year of diagnosis and physio help, i finally saw an orthopaedic surgeon yesterday and im booked in for an epidural cortisone injection in my l4/5 near my left nerve root to alleviate some pain. This is happening in early august.

The doc told me the problem was definitely genetic because my fathers got the same issue and that it should not be happening to a person at such a young age.

I'm also getting an MRI scan in september and the docs going to assess whether surgery is necessary. I previously had a CT scan provided from my GP that showed a possible disc herniation likely impinging the left nerve root.

Has anyone had similar issues? Any idea if the surgery is covered in the public health system...heard its going to cost a fortune if not and i'm actually ****ed financially as it is.

Had this the same age as you, could even walk the pain was that bad,literally rolled out of bed and crawled on hands and knees. I didn't get surgery, I just stretched alot of hamstrings, did what the physio told me also used an inversion table, iced it alot. I'm 40yo now, I still have some bad days but I regularly stretch and that helps alot plus inversion etc. During the active flair of sciatica you need to get that inflammation down before you attempt to stretch etc, ibuprofen and icing alot laying down will help get the swelling down enough to start physio which I suggest you do.
    also no free bar squats,that will just compress nerve further,dead lifts are also a bad idea, maybe just smith machine squat leaning back into the bar, and leg press not too deep, no bent over rows, only do supported rows against a chest pad or dumbell rows on an incline bench,also no over head should press as that will also compress nerve,
    once it's healed you may be able to bring some of those exercises back in but it could flair it up again, it does mine.
    Last edited by ironlift; 12-07-2019, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• pyyz123
      pyyz123 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats just got to suck. It limits your ability to do a lot of things and its not guaranteed to fix the problem with returning flare ups. My pain only happens when im bending forward. Squatting is fine for me as it does not hurt at all

Sorry for lack of paragraphs,lol. Was rushing.

Comment

Generally given the appropriate rehab protocol, patience and time, disc protusions/bulges will reabsorb themselves, it does take a long time though, and it certainly takes patience.

As a general protocol, you would/should have started with low level physio exercises, TA, heel slide type of stuff, progressed onto bw squats, pallof presses, anti rotation stuff as this encourages the disc to repair without loading additional compression, long term, you should be getting to the point of bringing deadlifts back into the trainign program, initially not as a strenght exercise but a rehab exercise and eventually progressing it back into a strength exercise.

Depending on the exact injury and mechanism/movements that cause pain, obviously things should be individualized but back issues should not be seen as something that is going to take you out of the game forever, they can be temperamental and flare up, the biggest issue is when they turn into a chronic condition, as this bring in other changes that complicate the original bio-mechanical issue.

You should try and Look up Andrew Lock, a physio with experience in strength sports as well.

See if he is in a location or will be in a location where you can visit him, or he might be able to recommend someone.

Surgery should be a last resort.

If your physio did not give you periodized exercises as well as hands on treatment, I would be looking for another.

Also unless you have some sort of bone disease, the idea of it being genetic seem a bit odd, just because your dad and you have an injury in similar areas. Unless you and your dad both have the same bony prominence that may make you more susceptible to having nerve compression/pain in that area of the spine, seems weird.

Comment

• pyyz123
        pyyz123 commented
        Editing a comment
        I did go to a physio, gave me a range of exercises and stretches to do. Did them for months and gave up because they didnt help.

Also in regards to the genetic comment, you're right. Turns out my dad has his from old age and bone degeneration rather than a slipped disk.

I may just consider surgery now but first i want to see if this cortisone shot helps

Had big issues with my L4/5 for over a decade, and thinking back to my teens. I was proper messed up, spine all twisted like I had scoliosis.

I tried everything I could find but nothing helped. I could hardly stand up and walking 50m was about my absolute limit before my body would start shaking as I was trying to push through all the pain, and sometimes just collapse.
      I've been told by many doctors and surgeons that I'm too young for surgery blah blah blah, then when my surgeon looked at my MRI he soon changed his tone (I had this happen since I first started looking into things back when I was like 19-20 and right up until my surgery at 30).

About 4.5 years ago I had a laminectomy and discectomy all fully funded in the public system, legit only paid for my wife's parking when she came to visit, and sneaky visits to the cafeteria, lol.

The only issue with the public system is the wait. They put me in as a category 2... My doctor said that was rubbish so wrote to them to tell them to look at my file again and bam, category 1... About 2 months later I was going under the knife.

I took the recovery very slowly, but about 12 months later I joined a gym with a pool and started swimming and riding exercise bikes... Soon got bored of that and started weights, lol. I know my limits with things and don't stress my lower back where I can help it (never deadlift), and it's far from perfect but I can stand up straight again. All the muscles in my back, hips, etc are still full of issues, but I do what I can.

Sorry for the long post, but if you've got any questions I'm happy to help :-) but ultimately, if the surgeon decides it's the best course of action then you should be able to go public, but I'd recommend avoiding surgery for anything where possible... Expect a solid 3 months before getting into serious physio after the op, and that's assuming they do the smaller cut... Otherwise double the timeframe.
      I did the ct guided cortisone injection, it feels weird from pressure but no pain... Didn't help me at all but I have a mate who has had a few over the years and they work really well for him.

Comment

• pyyz123
        pyyz123 commented
        Editing a comment
        Mines really different. My pain only flares when i walk or run long distances. The pain also triggers when i bend forward about 35 degrees and gets progressively worse as i bend more.

It stopped me from deadlifting and bent over rowing ever since feb 18. Really want to get this issue fixed and follow a rehab protocol afterwards

Alright guys, just saw Andrew Lock this week for my L4L5 disc protusion and L5S1, been suffering for two years. Andrew gave so much confidence to me that it will get fixed easily provided I follow the exercises that he has given me.. Already can see the difference

Comment

• pyyz123
        pyyz123 commented
        Editing a comment
        Amaan a range of stretches i.e. different variations of cobras dont know the names of other stretches but i did them too. Not so much exercises mainlh just stretches due to my exercising ability being too limited

• Amaan
        Amaan commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you focusing on strengthening abs, core and glutes because these are the muscles that support our back, imbalance causes the disc bulges.. Mine programme is foccused on cobras and abs and glute work. And he wants to see me in gym soon to further strengthen my back witth exercises using weights

• pyyz123
        pyyz123 commented
        Editing a comment
        Amaan yep i do my abs with bodyweight exercises at home before hitting the gym. Also squat every leg day which is fine for me and i dont get any leg or back pain. Its only when i bend forward that it hurts. I do back workouts its just i dont train lower back due to my limited range of motion

Got the same issue, had it my entire life, but came to fruition at around the age of 18. I've had mates who've had the surgery to fix it but the surgery actually caused more damage... you may need to rely on cortisone injections and exercise to simply manage it. I definitly would be avoiding surgery at all costs. I'm in my late 40's, used to compete many years ago, and I've been simply managing this same issue as you going on almost 30 years now.

Comment

• pyyz123
        pyyz123 commented
        Editing a comment
        I heard Cortisone injections may be harmful to younger people as it may cause degenerative risks so im being careful and probably only going to have 1 shot. I honestly know no other option than surgery right now.

pyyz123 just touching on the cost of things my last cortisone was $240 where i live now (small town) prior to that it was covered under medicare so I guess it depends where you live. One thing i do know is that the first one worked a treat the subsequent shots didn't do **** so when they told me $240 to get it done locally i passed. Different area of course to where you need it though.

Comment

• pyyz123
        pyyz123 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeh honestly hoping to just get 1 for temporary relief and then speak to the surgeon for any further options i have. I need to get the MRI in September first tho

Like I said your physio should have given you appropriate rehab exercises, not bull**** stretches that have little clinical relevance in regards to treating a condition like this, stretches and prone cobra DO NOT fall into this category, it may be part of a rehab program but if all he gave you was bull**** stretching exercises then by following his advice you have not done an appropriate rehab protocol.

Surgery is the last resort, surgery has other implications down the line.

Try a proper conservative approach first, whether thats getting the cortisone shot to reduce some inflammation, then contacting someone like Andre Lock.

I have done discs in my back more than one, I also have helped people rehab lower back injuries.

Take my advice and contact someone that knows what the **** they are doing.

Prone cobra and glute stretches are ****ing retarded long term approach, and do not encourage the disc to heal itself in the proper fashion, they're nothing close to low loaded exercises progressing onto loaded exercises with reduced compression forces/shear forces depending what aggravates your issue, it seems like it might be a combination of both.

Comment

• pyyz123
        pyyz123 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeh i'll try get into contact with Dr.Lock but it wont be anytime soon maybe late oct or nov due to work and study commitments at the moment. Stretches did not help so i'll definitely try a rehab program and see if it can make a difference. I'll have to talk to the surgeon about it first and get an MRI to see the extent of damage

The fact that you can still go to gym and squat and your leg pain isn't that bad, I would say you are in a much better state than me. Your condition can be improved by physio, no need of surgery

Comment

This is going to come across as harsh, but it sounds like youre just looking for someone to back up what you already think you should do, which is, surgery.

You said you dont have time to even contact Lock, but youll get an MRI and see the surgeon, the surgeon cant do ****, except, tell you, yep Ill remove this and bolt this here, he is highly specialized in surgery not in rehab.

Youre 23 you dont want be having **** shaved off, removed or bolted onto your spine, trust me, this is not the easy way.

If youre serious about lifting, about fixing your back and having the best quality of life, now, and later, stop obsessing over the mri and the surgeon and contact a professional that can actual help, not some useless physio that hasnt done any ****ing continuing education since the 90s.

Comment

• pyyz123
          pyyz123 commented
          Editing a comment
          Im not obsessing with surgery lol i've already booked my cortisone injection in august and MRI in September so theres not much i can do in the mean time until i check out the MRI results. All my current CT scan showed was a.possible l4/5 disc herniation likely impinging the left nerve root. Like i said, surgery is the last option for now relax mate.

My point is theres plenty you can do between ow and getting an mri.........

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9SKuFe2SERs&t=50s

Give this video a go mate. I had lower back issues for 2 years until I found this video. Within a week of doing these exercises the pain was pretty much gone.

Comment

Good timing thread. My GF has just spent all w/e with debilitating Sciatica. Been hell for her, still continuing.
            she was a Hostie and slipped in a hotel bath/shower in Germany during a layover 10 years ago. Injured herself then but has been ok with good solid trainng last few years.
            ​​​​​​ Last few weeks started to play up a bit, now bang, in tears just trying to get out of bed. Spends all day standing as hurts too much to sit.

Comment

• pyyz123
              pyyz123 commented
              Editing a comment
              Mines the complete opposite. I'd rather stand than sit and if i walk for long periods of time, the pain gets worse.

Hope your girl gets better. She should see a doc maybe and get scans done?

Surgery should be a last resort, if you're having issues pissing or getting erections. Get in touch with Andrew.

Comment

Working...
            X