This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating the optimal anabolic environment for maximal hypertrophy PART 2

Hey guys hopefully I was able to provide a platform in the first part of this series on how to set up your nutrition. I will summarize Part 1 with this statement “MAKE SURE YOU WEIGH YOUR FOOD”

Today will be an overview of setting up a training program. Variables that must be considered when following a program are endless...Training age, specific goals, injuries, bringing up lagging body parts just to name a few. The purpose of this post will be based on “maximizing hypertrophy”

Ok so let’s run through programming based on your training age.

Beginner lifter (0-1 years of resistance training)
    The focus of the beginner lifter should be on becoming familiar with the bio mechanics of movement patterns. Execution of the movement is of the highest importance. So the beginners program will look something like this.
    • *Rule of thumb* 3-4 resistance training sessions per week
    • Full body workouts (45- 60 minutes)
    • Workouts comprising of compound movements.
    • The primary focus should be on gaining strength as the body will go through neurological adaptations which can take 6-8 weeks before hypertrophy begins to occur.
    • Basic understanding of tempos. For example performing a back squat 2010

-2 second on the eccentric part of the movement (lengthening of the muscle under mechanical load), 0 no pause at the bottom, 1 second on the concentric part of the movement (shortening of the muscle under mechanical load) 0 no pause at the top.

Intermediate Lifter (1-5 years of resistance training)
    • *Rule of thumb* 4-6 resistance training sessions with the primary focus still being on compound movements but also the inclusion of some isolation exercises too.
    • Have the basic compound movements perfected
    • Have gained both strength and size
    • Hypertrophy has stalled… and are starting to look into tracking their caloric intake and improving recovery time (E.G WPI, Creatine, Essential amino acids)
    • But…….. a greater focus is now on “INTENSITY” level
    • Less of a focus on full body workouts and more on training each muscle group 1-2 times a week.
    • Inclusion of more advanced tempos.

Advanced Lifter 5+ years of resistance training
    - *Rule of thumb* 5-6 training sessions a week.
    - A good gauge if someone is an advance lifter is if they can actually correctly guide, execute and explain to someone else through an exercise.
    -Training becomes a lifestyle
    -Track the caloric intake too fit their specific goals
    -Knows how to put themselves into a caloric surplus and caloric deficit.
    -Trains each body part 2-3 times a week (even more if it is a lagging body part….calves for an example)
    -Incorporates advanced techniques such as drop sets, compound sets, blood flow restriction and the valsalva maneuver to name a few.

- The advanced lifter will understand the importance of 2 key factors
    Progessive Overload which can be achieved in many ways.
    1/ Increasing the weight
    2/ Increasing the volume (sets and reps)
    3/ Manipulating time between each set
    4/ Training frequency

Intensity Level (creating maximal intensity level to produce maximal hypertrophy)
    -Greater importance on programming to avoid over training.
    -Utilizing all advanced techniques.

Key points to summarize
    1/ Make sure your workouts primarily revolve around compound movements….. and execute all movements correctly.
    2/ Track your caloric intake
    3/ Understand progressive overload leads to continuous progression
    4/ Intensity level (ask yourself am I really training hard or have I got more in me)

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I will endeavour to help you.

Stay tuned for Part 3

Great stuff mate. Like your KISS approach. I wouldn't spend too much time on the advanced lifters section though, although it does provide a nice perspective of what the end goal is.

Comment

• Hrvtska
      Hrvtska commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks mate, yes mainly based at the beginner and intermediate lifter. A basic overview, with some important points even the most advanced gym rat doesn't seem to do. If there is enough interest I will do a more in depth series which will be targeted at guys like yourself

Should sticky this thread, especially good read for newbies looking for direction. Couldnt agree more with your summary of the key points bloody good job

Comment

• Hrvtska
      Hrvtska commented
      Editing a comment
      Thankyou champ
Working...
X