Differences in training when off/on cycle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences in training when off/on cycle

Ok, first up: I searched and couldn't find anything on the forum which outlined the primary/key differences in training when off/on cycle.

There are so many different styles of training and many different ways people's bodies and muscle groups respond to training and recovery.

Is it possible to give an overview (detail is of course very welcome) that outlines how you should - in general - change your training style when going on cycle (let's choose a bulk for this and ignore cutting - although that would be great too).

So - in case I haven't made it so clear, when you're on a cycle, would you primarily increase total number of exercises and/or sets/target rep count/TUL? Or would you perhaps also, or instead, do same as off-cycle - but increase the training frequency due to improved rates of recovery?

Thanks and hopefully this isn't something people ask all the time (if so, I have NFI how I didn't find anything in searches).

Couple of initial points

1. When off cycle at least initially, say first 6 weeks, train heavy, high intensity, lower volume, focus on big compound moves like deads, rows, presses... get in and out of gym in an hour if possible... training like this keeps as much of ur gains as possible

2. When on cycle for bulking periodisation is the key mate

Hrvtska - if ive misrepresented the situation please correct me / elaborate
    Last edited by PVIP; 11-01-2019, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• RADiuM
      RADiuM commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks PVIP and hope you're all better now, mate. So how would the total intensity and (what I know as time under load, being a combination of sets and reps, when you're actually working out, and not changing music tracks 😁) differ between still being on your cycle and regular off-cycle (e.g. 3 months after the cycle finished): sounds like it would be pretty close to the same as during the cycle?

That also leads me to the question of whether you should, "ramp up" your training prior to starting a cycle - especially if you're front-loading, or kick-starting with orals?

Cheers.

• PVIP
      PVIP commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey @RADiuM

Regular off-cycle - so during PCT (say 4- 6 weeks) of heavy weight (6 rep max), lower volume and maximum 1 hr of weight training at a time, after that's done i''d deload with 5 days off then start your usual periodisation with a lighter weight, higher volume say 1.5 hrs max per session for 4 weeks.. then continue periodisation as normal

Intensity off-cycle will never be quite as high as on cycle irrespective of stage of periodisation simply due to you not recovering as quickly

I would actually start cycle with lighter weight and higher volume and begin a heavy weight lower volume period as the gear is kicking in.. say at 4 weeks for enanthat and cyp... say at 2 weeks for prop and ace (ace actually kicks in within days so maybe start heavy stage at 10 days) .. so kind of ramping up as you've suggested

Hope that answers your questions

Periodisation, mixing up your routine and rest are crucial to continue seeing progress
      Last edited by PVIP; 12-01-2019, 06:53 AM.

• RADiuM
      RADiuM commented
      Editing a comment
      That's awesome, thanks PVIP for filling in the blanks, there. Trying to get appt with TRT doc (every 6 months), then I'll be back onto my next cycle, so this is really gonna come in handy. I love it when a plan comes together 😎

a key difference will be fatigue management. Off cycle you won't recover as well as on cycle.
    Being a powerlifter means never having to cut

Comment

• RADiuM
      RADiuM commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure, makes perfect sense. So how do you determine how well you're recovering, during a cycle - without trial and error, due to the fact that you'll finish the cycle in around 12-14 weeks - and obviously want to avoid wasted/unnecessary downtime/recovery time?

• RADiuM
      RADiuM commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh and thanks - forgetting my manners lol

• Clowni13
      Clowni13 commented
      Editing a comment
      it really is trial and error. after training for a while you will start to understand when you are starting to fry your system and thats when you need to deload for a week then hit it hard again. some people dont like to deload but your body will benefit from a mid cycle rest.

RADiuM you should be able to determine whether or not your muscles have recovered next time you train them. It's trial and error for everyone.

Comment

• AnabolicRhetoric
      AnabolicRhetoric commented
      Editing a comment
      If your muscle group feels good then hit it I say. 3 days is sufficient for me to hit a muscle group again. If I hit it after 2 days I definitely need 3 days to recover again.

• PVIP
      PVIP commented
      Editing a comment
      All depends how spot on your variables are...

E.g.

Sleep
      Diet
      Other streessors (e.g. work, family)

as well as how advanced you are generally

• RADiuM
      RADiuM commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheers guys. Sounds like being able to gauge my recovery, during a cycle, is the main thing - for me. Will be interesting as will have dbol kick start with evil bulk (test and deca) - but all good: never stop learning!
Working...
X