Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad knee’s and ankles. What leg work won’t affect them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad knee’s and ankles. What leg work won’t affect them?

Hey guys. I have really bad knees and ankles from 20 years of skateboarding, they ache most of the time and really affect what leg workout I can and can’t do.
    my question is, what workout can I still do that will not affect them too much? Squats are out because my left knee will just give way on the down part. Have tried light weights (60kg) which is ok but anything over that they just can’t cope.
    i can do leg raises, hamstring curls, calf raises, leg press if under 200kg. What else is there I can put in my leg day workouts?

What about RDL's or Deadlifts ?

Comment

Deadlifts aren’t too bad because I’m not bending my knees past 45 deg. It’s when I go past 45 or trying to push back up on a squat that my knee gives out
      normally do dead’s on back day

Comment

Look into a guy called Doug brignole.
        he has good tips on how to work out around injuries

Comment

Will do jd

Comment

Leg press, hack squat superset with bodyweight squats, leg extensions, split squats(keep these light)
            check out dumbell sumo squats these might be better for you - no weight on your back, similar sort of ROM to a deadlift but they SMASH my outer quad.

i stopped squatting for a year after heavy squats(200-220kg) giving me knee pain, and doing heaps of different variety leg movements and i saw 10x better growth

Comment

Also try cable squats, no load on the back but knees still hurt a little.
              slso riding a bike , cyclists have massive legs!

Comment

you skated for 20 years? maybe your calves are too big and overcompensating,, or your femur bone is bigger? if so try goblet squats , use wider stances when squatting ,,,, find a good hack squat machine, or use smith for squats ? really concentrate on your hamstrings too, make them priority ,,,, skating uses quads moreso ,, i had the same problem, took me ages to work it out

Comment

Been to a physio? Over strengthened or in balanced muscles have lead me to Years of discomfort. Only starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now. Good luck!

Comment

forget about weight and reps. your sets work on time now

leg press 3 mins
                    rest
                    leg curl 3 mins
                    rest
                    calf raise 3 mins
                    rest
                    hack squat 3 mins
                    rest
                    leg ext 3 mins
                    die

change the exercises to suit you, but youll only need a fraction of the weight. people will raise eyebrows but your legs will grow.
                    Please visit www.roidstop.is to order from one of Australia's most reputable AAS supplier!

Comment

Originally posted by RoidStop.is View Post
                      forget about weight and reps. your sets work on time now

leg press 3 mins
                      rest
                      leg curl 3 mins
                      rest
                      calf raise 3 mins
                      rest
                      hack squat 3 mins
                      rest
                      leg ext 3 mins
                      die

change the exercises to suit you, but youll only need a fraction of the weight. people will raise eyebrows but your legs will grow.
                      lol @ the die part

Comment

I won’t be able to walk out of the gym doing that. Will have to give it a go but

Comment

its definitely a shock to the system but very good for working around injuries
                          Please visit www.roidstop.is to order from one of Australia's most reputable AAS supplier!

Comment

If you have a GHD machine at your gym, glute ham raises are a killer for working your hamstrings and overall posterior chain as well. I find that it works much better than hamstring curls because there's a lot of tension on the eccentric part of the movement. Also recommend RDL's for ham development, shouldn't impact knees at all. The quads are a bit easier to work with any kind of leg pressing or extensions.

Sprinting is also a great way to build overall leg development, look at any sprinter's legs and tell me they're not impressive!

Comment

Working...
                            X